Role of a Councillor
The role of a Councillor:
As a member of the governing body of the Council is:
- to provide a civic leadership role in guiding the development of the community strategic plan for the area and to be responsible for monitoring the implementation of the Council’s Delivery Program(PDF, 2MB).
- to direct and control the affairs of the Council in accordance with Local Government Act.
- to participate in the optimum allocation of the Council’s resources for the benefit of the area.
- to play a key role in the creation and review of the Council’s policies and objectives and criteria relating to the exercise of the Council’s regulatory functions.
- to review the performance of the Council and its delivery of services, and the delivery program(PDF, 2MB) and revenue(PDF, 789KB) policies of the Council.
As an elected person is:
- to represent the interests of the residents and ratepayers.
- to provide leadership and guidance to the community.
- to facilitate communication between the community and the Council.