Registration & Microchipping

Cat and a dog playing with each other

Any cats & dogs that are sold or given away from 1 July 1999, must be microchipped and lifetime registered. Existing cats and dogs must also be microchipped and lifetime registered. Farm working dogs and greyhounds are exempt.

Microchipping and registration is a two part process and requires dog and cat owner to;

  1. Have their dog or cat implanted with a microchip from the time they are 12 weeks of age, at point of sale or change of ownership (whichever occurs first).
  2. Register their animals with their NSW local Council by 6 months of age.

Both the microchipping and registration of your dog or cat include a one-off fee and are for the life of the animal.

You can get your pet microchipped at your local Vet, or any animal welfare organisation. Just because your pet is microchipped does not mean that it is registered.

You will then receive a pink Lifetime Identification form, which then needs to be taken to Council.

Lifetime Registration can be completed at the Corowa Council Office, Mulwala Library, Howlong Community Resource Centre and also online.

Lifetime Registration, Change of Owner/Details and Permanent Identification forms can also be downloaded from the Department of Local Government's website.

You will need to bring into the Council your Lifetime Identification form, proof of desexing form from your Vet and any other documents that entitle you to a discount.

Once your dog has been microchipped you then must pay for it's lifetime registration at one of Council's offices.

The registration fees are: 

  • Desexed cat or dog - $58.00.
  • Standard (undesexed) cat or dog - $210.00.
  • Standard cat or dog owned by a registered breeder - $58.00.
  • Desexed cat or dog owned by a pensioner - $25.00.
  • Desexed animal sold by eligible pound or shelter - $29.00.

There is no registration fee for the following:

  • Assistance Animal. 
  • Working Dog.
  • Dog in the service of the State, for example, a police dog.
  • Greyhound currently registered under the Greyhound Racing Act 2009.
  • Cat born prior to 1 July 1999 where ownership has not changed (when the Companion Animals Act 1998 came into effect).

If you have lost your cat or dog please contact council