Applications Open for Youth Council
Published on 08 May 2023
Join the Federation Youth Council and have the chance to make your ideas a reality.
Federation Council is inviting expressions of interest from young people interested in becoming a Youth Councillor.
Federation Council Mayor, Cr Pat Bourke said the Federation Youth Council opportunity is open to 12–25-year-old young people who live, learn, or work in the Federation Council area.
“I encourage all Federation youth who are passionate about our community to be apart of the Youth Council,” he said.
“This is a fantastic opportunity to assist Council with developing youth related activities and events in our region.”
What’s in it for you?
- Free food at meetings.
- Meet new people.
- Hang out with friends.
- Get to see your ideas come to fusion.
- End boredom or at least make something exciting happen.
- Be part of positive change.
- Change to sit on other committees.
- Looks good on your resume.
What experience can you gain?
- Opportunities to participate in training and workshops for personal development and future possibilities.
- Develop employability skills such as leadership, team work and collaboration, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Learn hands on-skills such as running and facilitating meetings, community engagement, developing and leading projects, advocacy and more
Be part of a dynamic team that organises local events and activities.
As a Federation Youth Councillor, you can:
- Help organise youth driven and focused events and activities.
- Plan, organise and facilitate a youth week initiative.
- Volunteer at events and within the community.
- Support local initiatives and projects for young people.
Be the voice that advocates and creates action for young people.
The Youth Council is:
- A forum for young people to express their views in a safe environment.
- An outlet to provide advice to the council and the community about addressing issues that young people face.
- A chance for youth to say what they would like in their towns.
- An important opportunity for young people to engage with the council and have input into Council decisions.
Be part of an inclusive committee where your opinion is valued.
Youth Council aims to be inclusive:
- It is open to all young people across the Federation Council area.
- We encourage young people from a low socio-economic background, LGBTQIA+ identifying, young people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, and Culturally and Linguistically Diverse to apply.
- The group meets for 2 hrs per month for meetings (not including Public Holidays or School Holidays).
- You can join face to face or via video conferencing.
- Meeting locations are set by the Youth Council which can be in one town or alternative meeting locations between towns.
Jump on the Council website and apply to be a Federation Youth Councillor. Expressions of Interest close Friday 30 June, 2023.