Council recognises the importance of trees in our natural landscapes as they act as climate moderators by producing oxygen and reducing pollution. They also assist with modifying temperature, wind and glare.
Council manages street and park trees within it's Local Government area, however, it is the responsibility of residents to care for trees on their property.
Trees on private property
Residents are responsible for trees on their property.
Under NSW planning laws, Council approval is required before pruning or removing any tree over 4.5m tall or branches more than 3m long. In addition, if the tree is protected within the Federation Council area, approval is also required from Council. A list of protected trees are included below and in the application form.
Council approval is obtained by downloading and completing an application form and lodging at a Council office.
PROTECTED TREES WITHIN FEDERATION COUNCIL
Schedule 4 – Species of Trees (Clause 32)
1. River Red Gum - Eucalyptus camaldulensis
2. White Cypress - Pine Callitris columellaris
3. Black Cypress - Pine Callitris endlicheri
4. Blakely's Gum - Eucalyptus blakelyi
5. Yellow Box - Eucalyptus melliodora
6. Grey Box - Eucalyptus microcarpa
7. White Box - Eucalyptus albens
8. Cootamundra Wattle - Acacia baileyana
9. Gold Dust Wattle - Acacia acinacea
10. Pin Bush Wattle - Acacia burkitti
11. Jacaranda - Jacaranda mimosifolio
12. Flame Tree - Brachychiton acerifolium
Finding the right Arborist
Council recommends that before you hire an Arborist to prune or remove a tree, you consider the following tips:
- Seek quotes for the work from qualified Arborists.
- Request to see Public Liability and Worker’s Compensation Certificates.
- Check their qualifications and/or industry memberships.
- Seek references or recommendations from previous clients.
- Agree on the scope of the work you want them to do so that this can be quoted on accurately.
Street and Park Trees
Council is responsible for street and park tree planting and removal.
If you wish to request that a tree is planted or removed, please complete an application form available for download from the bottom of this page and lodge at a Council office.
Trees located on Private Property
If you wish to request that a tree is removed from private property, please complete the 'Vegetation Removal Application Form' available for download from the bottom of this page and lodge at a Council office.