Building or fitting out a new food premises

The Council Environmental Health Officer can provide you with advice and information about the design and fit-out of a new food premise to ensure it complies with legislative requirements.  Contact Council and ask to speak to the Environmental Health Officer.

More information about legislative requirements for the design, fit-out and construction of food premises can also be found at Food Standards Australia New Zealand.  The Australian Standard AS4674 for the Design, Construction and Fit-Out of Food Premises provides detailed information which can be provided to your builder or architect.

Prior to opening your food business, arrange for a Food Safety Inspection with the Council Environmental Health Officer to ensure you premises complies and you are ready to trade safely. To arrange an inspection, contact Council and ask to speak to the Environmental Health Officer.

You may also be required to apply for a Development Consent and Construction Certificate before undertaking any building and construction work.  Refer to the Building and Planning section on this website or contact Council’s Planning and Environment team on 02 6033 8999.

All food premises discharge Liquid Trade Waste to Council’s sewer system.  Some businesses are required to seek approval prior to discharging liquid trade waste and install the necessary pre-treatment systems (such as a grease trap).  Refer to the Liquid Trade Waste section on this website for more information or contact Council and ask to speak to the Environmental Health Officer for advice.

Below is a quick reference guide to building or fitting out a new food premises:

  1. Ensure you have planning approval to operate from the proposed location –contact Council’s Planning and Environment Team on 02 6033 8999 and complete a Development Application if necessary.
  2. Ensure you have approval to discharge liquid trade waste to Council’s sewerage system and you have any required pre-treatment systems in place (i.e. grease trap) prior to opening.  Contact Council and ask to speak to the Environmental Health Officer.
  3. Complete the Food Business Registration Form and return to Council.
  4. Organise a food safety inspection with the Environmental Health Officer prior to opening. Make sure any equipment is turned on and working, the hand wash basin is operational and you have the necessary supplies such as a temperature measuring device, food grade sanitiser and soap and single us paper towel at the hand wash basin prior to the inspection.

Appoint a Food Safety Supervisor and ensure they complete the required units of competency from an approved RTO under the NSW Food Authority’s program. For approved training providers visit NSW Food Authority

Download the food business registration form from the bottom of this page.

Click here to view form.