Pollution and Illegal Dumping
In the event of a pollution incident which involves serious or potential harm to the health or safety of people or ecosystems, the following agencies should be notified:
- EPA Environment Hotline 131 555.
- NSW Health 1300 555 555.
- WorkCover 131050.
- NSW Fire & Rescue 000.
Council is the responsible agency for smaller scale pollution incidences such as:
- Sediment runoff from building sites into waters.
- Illegal dumping of toxic substances (e.g. waste oil).
- Unlawful disposal of contaminants into the stormwater drain (e.g. paints, chemicals).
Contact Council to report such incidences.
Council incurs significant costs for the investigation, collection and disposal of illegally dumped material. Dumping of household rubbish, garden waste, building and commercial waste is a problem and causes:
- Chemical and physical pollution in our neighbourhood and waterways;
- The spread of pests, weeds and also create fire hazards from dumped greenwaste; and
- Pollution of waterways from hazardous materials.
Contact Council to report incidences of illegal dumping you have observed.