Pets and Animals

Barking Dogs

If you are concerned about barking, first speak to the dog’s owner as they may not realise that their pet is creating a noise nuisance. Council has developed a Courtesy Neighbour Letter(PDF, 29KB) you can use to place in your neighbour’s letterbox.

If that doesn’t resolve the problem, complete a Noise Log Sheet(PDF, 165KB) and send in the completed log sheet to

Roaming Dogs

A straying dog causes distress to dog, neighbours and the community. Dogs that are not kept safely behind a fence can risk being injured or cause injury to others. They can also become territorial and aggressive towards people.

If you come across a roaming dog during business hours and you can remain with the dog and contact Council.  A Ranger will come and collect it and attempt to safely return it to its owners.  If you cannot remain with the dog, still contact Council and let us know where you last saw the dog.

If you come across a roaming dog afterhours, if you are able to, hold the dog until a Ranger can collect the next business day.


Unlike dogs, there is no requirement under the Companion Animals Act 2008 for cats to be contained within their property.  However, containing your cat is part of being a responsible pet owner.  Cats can live a happy, healthy life indoors or contained on their property.

If a neighbourhood cat is creating a nuisance such as noise, spraying or fighting with other cats, Council Rangers can speak with the cat owner. In some circumstances, Council Rangers can issue an Order requiring the owner to address the problem.

Where a cat habitually wanders from their property, there is little compliance action Council Rangers can take however they can provide advice and information to the owner.

Cat Protection Society of NSW Inc has a range of free resources to support cat owners being good neighbours. Visit their website for more information.