If you do get a doggy bag, you should follow these simple precautions to avoid food poisoning:
- Refrigerate the food as soon as possible.
- Make sure your fridge at home is holding food at 5°C or less.
- Throw the food away if you are not able to get it into the fridge within 2 hours of it being served to the table. You can ask the restaurant to hold the doggy bag in their fridge until you are ready to leave.
- Throw away food that is more than 48 hours old.
- Reheat leftovers before eating, avoid eating cold.
- Reheat food for at least 2 minutes until steaming hot before eating
There are no laws that restrict a food businesses from providing doggy bags to customers. However, some food businesses choose not to take the risk as they cannot control what you do with the food after you leave.